late replies derrr
fallen-sparrow replied to your post: do you ever stop and think about …
I was just having this thought the other day when I realized I’d been on TDA for 3 years! Not the same as writing but it’s weird to be committed to an internet thing for that long…
I am actually a bit of a serial internet community hopper, but those were mostly game and drawing communities and HPFF is the one I’ve managed to get the most involved in c: I think a huge part of it was good timing and I managed to meet a lot of people, not only with similar interests, but closer to my age (I used to always be the baby).
ERMAHGHERD YOU RECOMMENDED MY FIC GASP SOB BLUB ♥♥♥ /stalkerishness revealed
I DID BECAUSE IT’S SO GOOD C: ♥♥♥
5 Character Points You May be Ignoring
#i always write short characters .-.
You don’t need to describe your character down to the finest detail; let your reader do some imagining of their own (they seem to enjoy that!) But there are a few character points that affect how they interact with their world which you can reveal through action.
- Height: Do they need to duck through doorways, or bend to speak to their friends? Do they struggle to reach the top shelf in the supermarket? The way they cope with these things reveal how they feel about their height. Do they compensate by wearing heels or by slouching?
- Weight: Do they easily slip through small spaces and crowds? Or do they avoid sitting on flimsy-looking furniture? Do they suffer backache from pulling their stomach in all day, or do they wear layers to try and look bulkier?
- Eyesight: How well can they see distances or read small print? Do they proudly wear glasses, do they go more subtle with contact lenses, or are they in complete denial?
- Smell: Do they douse themselves in perfume or do people shy away from their sweaty smell? Do they realise what they smell like, or are they oblivious?
- Walk: Does the way they walk make them stand out, or blend in with the crowd? Do they look ahead or walk looking at their feet? How big is their stride, how big are their feet, and how does this affect the way they move around their world?
These are all things that can be used to reveal character, impact plot and affect the setting.
Think about how happy your character is with their physical attributes. Do they hide them because they’ve suffered years of bullying, or are they proud of who they are and have little care for what others think?
pitchbluesea asked: So it's around 2 a.m. where I live, this probably won't make much sense. I'm reading 'capers' right now and it kind of makes me want to devour my whole cookie drawer (it's a drawer full of cookies, not a drawer made of cookies, although that would be cool). My question is: do you think the joy of eating cookies in bed makes up for the uncomfortable crumbs between the sheets afterwards?
Oh no, never, short-sightedness is our downfall. A cookie will be good for a few minutes or however long it takes for your saliva to dissolve the taste, but crumbs are like sand after the beach. You think you shook it all out, but then a week later, right when you’re snug in bed — crunch.
This is a PSA. Tell your friends~
Anonymous asked: hellooooo :) will you be updating etc etc anytime soon? and the last chapter of capers was perfect! you are a really good writer x
thanks! c: I’m planning to finish Capers this month/early July (will vary due to vacation) and then it’s etc. Sorry for the long wait; I would’ve liked to have started regular updates again with 17, but it didn’t work out that way ;A;
a few one-shot recs
#harry potter fanfiction
#more more more recs \o/
- A Lightness by teh tarik [Lavender Brown, 9.3k words]
I’m making this post specifically so I can rec this fic. It is sosososososo good. I wanted to read a oneshot and was hesitant at the length, but I looked in, read a few paragraphs… and kept going… and going. That’s the kind of story this is. Some of the best handling of canon minor characters I’ve seen, gorgeous descriptions that I could never fathom. You’ll laugh and cry and be pleasantly surprised and all the good stuff.
- Amaranthine by Celestie [James/Lily, 7.7k]
I’m not a fan of James/Lily fics. Fandom romanticizes them and I generally find them to be really bland and/or annoying. This is the James/Lily fic that I adooooored. The characters feel like people that I could know. It’s down-to-earth, young love at its best and worst and in a time of war.
- Something To Fight For by SiriuslyPeeved [Fabian/Marlene, 2.2k]
Another wartime fic that breaks my heart. If you’re a fan of the Marauders’ war era, this one takes you through in a whirlwind and you’re going to ship madly in the span of two thousand words, even if you’ve never thought of the ship.
- Unmasked by Cherry Bear [Harry/Ginny, 500]
It’s so short that I don’t have much to say without ruining it, but it captures a moment really well and expresses a great backstory in small amount of words that made me think about post-war Harry.
- It’s Only Love by redherring [Cormac/Lavender, 3k]
My love of cynical romances is showing. It’s an honest view into an dysfunctional relationship and its highs and lows, and another one of those stories that feels like you could know the people, with imperfections and conflicts that are all too relatable to any relationship.
- A One Time Thing by ThePhoenix17 [Teddy/Victoire, 2.5k]
Ending with fluff! This is one of my favorite fluff fics. It pretty much opens with Teddy comparing baby Victoire (his now bride-to-be) to a bug and I hope that convinces enough people to read it. It put smile after smile on my face, and after you read through all the depressing fics on this list, you’re going to want to end with this one too.
#and capers ensue
#i've been saving this for after i posted the last chapter
#factoid: 'sweet on you' is one of my favorite phrases
#it should make a comeback
SWEET ON YOU ◆ a Bea & Scorpius mix
- AFTER ALL / Sondre Lerche
I like you too much after too little time
- PLENTY OF PAPER / Eisley
we found all entire dreams of men and machines and turned them all around
- YES, SO ON AND SO ON / Thao Nguyen
we want too much, it’s a given
- WE’RE ON THE RUN / Gold Motel
can we hide the tracks we’ve made, can we make it alive
- SOMETHING THAT I WANT / Grace Potter
she’s a girl with the best intentions, he’s a man of his own invention
- KING AND LIONHEART / Of Monsters and Men
‘cause you’re my king and I’m your lionheart
- IT’S ONLY A PAPER MOON / Ella Fitzgerald
it wouldn’t be make believe, if you believed in me
- ALL MY LOVING / The Beatles
close your eyes and I’ll kiss you, tomorrow I’ll miss you
- YOU’VE GONE AWAY ENOUGH / Mirah
the way you look at the stars and how you think that they were made
- DEPTH OVER DISTANCE / Ben Howard
hold on, though we may be too young
Anonymous asked: I saw you mentioned MBTI in response to a question! What's your type? Your characters'? Have you looked into the cognitive functions?
I’m an ISTP! c: I had a big hoopla over this on ze personal when I did the quiz, because it essentially confirmed my status of being a narcissistic personal space invader (and creative I guess, but mostly the other stuff). Wikipedia describes me as “humorously insightful” which is how I’m introducing myself from now on.
#and capers ensue
#etc. etc. (and life goes on)
- Bea is INTP, the closest to me out of my characters. Which makes sense, because I always felt that the one thing that set her apart from me is her strong adherence to her intuition, but she’s got all the rest of engineer-y things that I have. She’s an ~architect~ on the Kiersey sorter, whereas I’m a ~crafter~ (also I should say that I know absolutely nothing about psychology other than the basic cases, so I’m just following what wikipedia says).
Credentials or other forms of traditional authority do not impress Architects. Instead, logically coherent statements are the only things that seem to persuade them. Architects value intelligence highly and are often impatient with people with less ability than they have.
- Scorpius is ENFP (Champion) and Fred is ESTJ (Supervisor), which I think fit them pretty well. Fred’s the same as my bf. I swear there hasn’t been any projecting, but he did immediately identify with him when he read Capers so.
Champions are keen observers of the people around them. They have exceptional intuitive abilities and are capable of intensely concentrating on a particular individual. Champions are constantly scanning their social environment and intriguing characters are not likely to escape their attention.
Supervisors are civic-minded individuals who dedicate themselves to maintaining the institutions behind a smooth-running society. They often rise to positions of leadership in service organizations and in their careers, defending the values of the groups to which they belong. Supervisors are strong believers in rules and procedures, and they prefer tried methods to experimental ones.
- Clemence is ENTJ (Fieldmarshall) - which actually becomes a lot more relevant in what I’m calling ~season 2 of etc~ i.e. the leader!Clemence arc that just kicked off with chapter 17.
Fieldmarshals may not actively seek out leadership responsibilities, but will often volunteer themselves to take charge in situations where leadership is absent or has failed, or where a power vacuum suddenly exists—not because they are particularly interested in power as such, but due to their innate desire to see a given system (be it social, political, workplace, or otherwise) continue to function until a suitable leader can be identified
- Albus is ENFJ (Teacher). In-story, he comes off as more of an introvert, but really only because he’s surrounded by eejits. And he’s apparently super compatible with Bea, which I can also see if he wasn’t surrounded by eejits.
They tend to look for the best and to expect it from those around them. Teachers communicate a belief that everyone has the potential to succeed. In doing so, they may motivate others to meet the Teacher’s positive expectations. However, Teachers may unintentionally overpower others with their idealized vision.
epitomeofgoodbyes asked: how are you so cleverly witty. WAIT. no. I change my mind. the question is: is it true the shiny light behind you is really just the bathroom light? NONONO. one more time - pinkysweartimesthree. like when you draw those really brilliant stuff (it's very brilliant) - like what inspires you? I mean not only the subject itself but the wayyy you draw the subject of said drawing. also, what do you feel about cats.
I THINK THE QUESTION IS ‘WHAT INSPIRES MY DRAWINGS?’ I will answer that question.
Best case scenario, I just get an image in my mind! Those are the best, like when you get really good idea for a graphic or a one-shot and all you have to do is spit it out. I like to think in globs of colors and shapes, and those ideas come out strongest in the end. It’s also probably why I’ve always preferred “blocky” styles for myself.
That’s for any of the art that I draw without much of a reference. Those with a reference are for practice, and I always go through galleries of other illustrators to get a feel of how they lay their brushstrokes down - I’ve always believed this is the most important part of an illustration, the movement of the brush. Also how they contrast their saturation and make “unnatural” colors work together (like in atmospheric lighting).
cats are the best ofc.